Psalm 8:3-6,9 Who Am I? (Part One)


When I consider your heavens,
    the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
    which you have set in place,
what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?
You have made them a little lower than the angels
    and crowned them with glory and honor.
Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
Psalm 8:3-6,9

Never meet your heroes, goes the old expression. Is there an author whose books you devour, or an actor whose movies you are the first in line to watch? Is there a pastor or politician or chef or simply someone you respect who has done amazing things for people around the world? We all need heroes. Someone we have built probably up more than is probably deserved, but we raise as a larger-than-life example of the kind of person we either wish we could be, or strive to be.

Wishing and striving are two very different actions, the difference between the two we'll expound more on in part two. Today, though, with what might happen if we ever met these heroes?

A person often falls into this role not because of who they are personally, but what they have done.  An actor acts; an artist paints; a lawmaker makes laws. I'm a writer and there are a (very) few people who know me only from my work. Granted, some of how my mind works can be revealed through my words. How I get impatient when I fix things, or yell too often at my kids when I'm hungry/angry/tired, what my political leanings are, how much noise I make when I eat or simply whether I'm nice guy or a total expletive, they learn only after they meet and get to know me.

More often than not, when a person comes to know their hero on a personal level, the respect once held for them proves a bit higher than reality would allow. Heroes become human, and can never live up to another's imagination.

God is another kettle of fish entirely. Some of us might have started as either apathetic or downright hateful towards Him (often not because of anything God did but rather those of us who call ourselves His followers), some looked at God distantly yet with some awe and reverence. As we get to know Him personally, we find ourselves drawn closer because reality proves so much better than anything we can dream up themselves. When you follow the path God has laid out in our life, begin studying His word and most importantly build a relationship with your Creator, you might find that any preconceived understanding doesn't come close to who He truly is. Respect and awe for Him actually grows.

Then, at some point we all ask the question in today's verses: who are we that You even think, let alone care, so much about us? You made everything! Yet you look at us like we're your kids, your pride and joy. How is that possible?

And it's a question we might never understand in this life. But the short answer: He does.

Aside from a book signing or a fan convention, it's probably best we don't meet our heroes, because most will let us down simply by being themselves. However, take steps today to learn who God really is. Read His Word and talk to Him over coffee on your way to work. Ask questions and get to know the One who made everything. With every heartbeat closer to the Father, we're filled with wonder that He's better than we ever imagined.

Prayer

Lord, when I did not know you, you seemed a distant, dispassionate being who took care of me but didn't really know me. I am amazed again and again how much you actually think about me, want the best for me and love me, forever. I don't understand why, but I try, and often fail, to be grateful for this every day.

If you would like to read Who Am I? (Part Two), which is not so much a devotional as a personal essay, you can read Part Two by clicking here!

Comments