Psalm 2:10-12, Remember Who's Boss


10 Now then, you kings, act wisely!
    Be warned, you rulers of the earth!
11 Serve the Lord with reverent fear,
    and rejoice with trembling.
12 Submit to God’s royal son, or he will become angry,
    and you will be destroyed in the midst of all your activities—
for his anger flares up in an instant.
    But what joy for all who take refuge in him!
                                                            -Psalm 2:10-12

I work in a large company’s IT department, most days from home. Every morning we get the kids off to school, then I sit at my desk by 8:30 and start my day, often as the only one in my house. Though at times I miss being around co-workers in an energetic work environment, being able to stay home has been a blessing for many reasons. The trick to being productive is remembering I have supervisors who expect me to do my job in a timely manner. If I don’t, I will likely need to come into the office every day, if I’m lucky.

Though “kings” in today’s verses implies those leading governments, “rulers” could be anyone in charge of a nation, company, church or their own family. When we find ourselves overseeing others, the responsibility should never be taken lightly, and always humbly. At work, church and home people look to me as a leader in some way.

How do we serve God with “reverent fear” while leading those we’re given charge over? As a follower of Jesus, we represent His church. How we act towards people is a reflection of this. Some want nothing to do with God or faith because of what another person said or did against them, a hurtful behavior seen as a reflection of an entire Christian population. In a letter, Paul once urged Timothy as a leader and teacher to “set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” (Tim 4:12).

We’re called to live a life worth emulating by others, and in doing so being a light that draws them closer to God by how we love one another. When this happens, God blesses us. Jesus says in Matt 25:29 that “whoever has, will be given more, and they will have an abundance.” However, He also says “Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.” If we misuse our position or gifts, or cause others to move away from God because of our actions, we run the risk of losing the blessings He’s given us. My employers trust me to stay focused at work when telecommuting. If I spend the day watching TV, I could lose my job.

Fearing the Lord doesn’t mean being “afraid” of Him, but acknowledging He is boss, and as the Creator of everything His power and dominion are greater than anything we can imagine. A little awe should come into our hearts when we consider this. Still, He sees us, loves us, wants us to be His hands and feet to others around us. That can be intimidating, and a reminder when we find ourselves in charge of a country, community or family, or when we have some influence over the thoughts and beliefs of a circle of believers. We must serve these people, humbly, because at the same moment we are serving the God of the universe.

Prayer

Lord, keep us humble where You have placed us as leaders. Let us lead humbly, pointing those around us toward You with our words, actions, and life.

Comments